We have a pancake situation over here. Fat, fluffy and 100% delicious pancakes.
I remember when I used to go to a certain fast food restaurant (many years ago) and ate this super thick and fluffy pancakes for dessert. I´ve tried to make a low-fat version of such thick pancakes a few times and I almost gave up. I seriously though I would never pull that off. But oh man…I was wrong.
Now take note of what you are seeing in that picture. Whole-grain, low-fat, thick and fluffy pancakes. And for all the banana haters, these are banana-free too.
And now, some more drool-worthy pictures. Just because.
WHOLE GRAIN VEGAN FLUFFY PANCAKES
Yield 6 medium
- 140 grams whole spelt flour (¾ cups approximately)
- 1 cup (110 grams) rolled oats, ground into a flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup + 6 tablespoons non-dairy milk (325 ml)
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup or molasses
- Optional toppings:
- Maple syrup
- Chopped walnuts (avoid for nut-free version)
- Mix the dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- Whisk the non-dairy milk, vinegar and maple syrup together in another bowl. Add wet to dry and slowly whisk until just combined. Some small lumps are ok. Do not overmix or the pancakes won´t be as thick and fluffy.
- Preheat a non-stick skillet over medium heat.
- Pour around ⅓ cup of batter into the skillet. Do not spread it nor flatten it out, otherwise they won´t get as thick!
- When the edges look dry and the top has bubbles, use a flat spatula to carefully flip the pancakes. Cook for another 2 more minutes on the other side.
- Top with a drizzle of maple syrup.
Cuisine Low-Fat, Soy-Free, Nut-Free