Are you in the mood for a creamy, comforting and super satisfying dish of pasta? No problem, I got you covered.
Last weekend I was craving a big bowl of pasta and I wanted something different. I´ve been wanting to use sun-dried tomatoes in a recipe for the past few weeks and the thought of pasta with a creamy sauce and sun-dried tomatoes was mouthwatering. I also had some kale in the fridge that was screaming “use me! I´m getting old!”. So be it. Because throwing away food…not good.
I think I could easily say that this is my favourite pasta sauce at the moment. It´s creamy, thick, savory, garlicky and mmmm….just MMMM…
And before I get into the recipe, I’m going to derail the conversation for a minute because I need to update you about my upcoming ebook which is a compilation of many recipes from my website + a weekly meal plan. All recipes are plant-based, vegan, oil-free and low-fat. Oh! And did I mention it will be for free for all my subscribers? 😉
I know I said it was “almost” done like ages ago and believe me, I didn´t lie. But besides being insanely busy during the past months (Christmas, flying to Spain, work, my master, the blog, a second project than I can´t reveal yet…) there was something else that was making the process such a nightmare:
I chose the WORST online program EVER (insert angry emoticon here).
Well…let´s be fair. It might be a pretty good program if you want to make a layout with 1 or 2 pages. But if your project is bigger than, let´s say 15 pages, I wouldn´t recommend it to anyone. I chose this program because at first sight it seemed pretty easy and intuitive to use. And well…because it was for free. But 1 hour of work with this program could have been 15 minutes using a good publishing software. And after hours and hours of work (and being “almost” done), I decided that I´ll be better off getting a good program. Seriously, if I have to design one more page with that program I´m gonna go crazy. So please, bare with me and give me some more time. I am going to be using a good publishing software from now on so the work is going to be easy peasy!
And now back to the point of this post because…HUNGRY 🙂
This sauce is not only super flavorful but it´s also insanely easy and fast to make. It´s the perfect dish to prepare when you have friends or family over. Or when you are alone and simply want to stuff your face with yummy plant-based goodness. Yeap, that was me last weekend.
- 8 sun-dried tomatoes
- 1 and ½ cup of kale, chopped
- Boiling water
- Cooked pasta of your choice
- For the sauce:
- ¾ cups almond milk
- ½ cup vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoons mustard
- 1 heaping tablespoon tahini
- 1 heaping tablespoon onion flakes (or 1 teaspoon onion powder)
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely minced
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast (optional but adds some cheesy flavor)
- 1 tablespoon arrowroot powder or cornstarch. (You can also use 2 tablespoon of flour instead)
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- ⅛ teaspoon of pepper
- Place the sun-dried tomatoes in a bowl and cover with boiling water. Set aside and let them sit until tender. Another option would be soaking your tomatoes over night.
- Once the tomatoes are soft, chop them in small pieces.
- In another bowl, whisk all the sauce ingredients until well combined.
- Place the sauce, the chopped kale and the chopped sun-dried tomatoes in a pan on medium-high heat. Cook while stirring until the sauce thickens up.
- Lower the heat to a minimum and add you pasta and combine well with the sauce.
- Taste and adjust salt and pepper.
- Serve and enjoy!