Because I´m a porridge fan, this was meant to happen. When you eat porridge every single day (well…almost every single day) you start getting creative. Not because I don´t enjoy a simple porridge but because I like it so much that I want to try all the possible combinations in the world. I know, that sounds a little bit ambitious… But hey, I can dream, right?
I wanted to add a crunchy topping to my porridge and immediately granola came to my mind. I seriously LOVE granola but I´m not a fan of the commercial ones since they are usually loaded with oil and refined sugar. And since I always seem to munch my way through a whole package in just a few days I decided it wasn´t a good idea to keep buying it.
But you know what? My granola-free days are over.
Hello to you, homemade, perfectly crunchy and wonderfully delicious granola.
This is my very first time making granola and I´m incredibly happy with the result. These pictures are actually from the second batch since the first one disappeared so fast that I didn´t make it to take any picture… But this doesn´t end here. Now that I discovered the homemade-granola-world, I can´t wait to experiment and try different combinations.
If you aren´t into porridge, don´t worry. You don´t necessarily need to combine both of them. You can use it as a topping for any cereal bowl or just eat it as is. Granola makes a great snack on the go too!
OAT & WALNUT CRUNCHY GRANOLA
Yield 6 cups
- Dry ingredients:
- 2 and 1/2 cups rolled oats
- 27 dates (the small ones), chopped very tiny
- 1/2 cup oat flour
- 1/2 cup walnuts, finely chopped
- 2/3 cup almond flour
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- Wet ingredients:
- 3 tablespoons molasses
- 5 tablespoons maple syrup (or rice syrup)
- In a large bowl, mix together the dry ingredients.
- In another bowl, whisk the wet ingredients together until smooth.
- Then pour the wet mixture over the dry mixture and stir well until everything is thoroughly combined.
- Spread the granola onto a pan lined with parchment paper and bake in the oven for 30 minutes at 180°C. Give the granola a stir every 10 minutes to ensure it cooks evenly.
- Allow to cool for 15-20 minutes on the pan before serving or storing it. Don´t worry if it´s still slightly soft, it will dry out and stiffen up as it cools.
- Store it in an air-tight container. It will keep for up to 3 weeks in the fridge.
Cuisine Gluten-Free, Soy-Free