Recipe and post: Sara Binde
Photography: Sonia Raga
Looking for an original soup recipe? Look no further than this simple yet flavorful Creamy Mushroom and Zucchini Soup.
I first made this recipe when I was traveling in Prague. It was the night before I was supposed to leave and I still had some random leftover ingredients. Zucchini, mushrooms, rice milk, a small pepper and sheets of nori were among the ingredients I had left.
Quickly thinking, I made them into a soup and didn’t expect much. When I tasted the soup, I was overwhelmed by how well the umami flavor of the mushrooms paired the nori. It was perfect. I hope you’re delightfully surprised when you taste this simple soup recipe, too.
GUEST POST: MUSHROOM SOUP
Yield 2 Servings
- 2 cups chopped mushrooms
- 1 cup unsweetened non-dairy milk
- 1 medium zucchini, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 tsp basil, dry
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 1-2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 nori sheet, sliced or ripped into pieces
- 1 fresh banana pepper or 1 jalapeño
- In a blender, combine the all ingredients but the nori and banana pepper.
- Blend until smooth.
- Place the soup in a sauce pan and cook until hot.
- Garnish with the nori and banana pepper after serving.
- Notes: you can have this soup cold too.
Cuisine Low-Fat, Gluten-Free, Nut-free