I have very good news for you. I FINALLY came up with a great muffin recipe. It was hard, but… it´s here!
Baking sweet treats without fat and without oil can be pretty difficult. It took me 5 tries until I was satisfied with the result. I must say that all of them tasted wonderful, but the texture was always too soft and chewy. What I wanted was moist and slightly fluffy muffins. And I finally mastered the recipe.
Easy peasy, deliciously sweet, moist and perfect-for-any-time muffins. Yes, that´s what I´m talking about. Oh, and they are healthy too. Made with whole spelt flour, oil-free and sweetened with apple sauce and a small amount of unrefined sugar. This recipe is a winner!
I used silicon muffin cups which make oil-free baking a breeze. The muffins do not stick to them and therefore you don´t need to grease them. I would not recommend using paper cups, since the batter will most likely stick to them (already happened to me a couple of times).
Look at that. Don´t they look irresistible?
Now go make them. But be generous and share with your family! 🙂
- Dry ingredients:
- 180g whole spelt flour (approx. 1 and ½ cups)
- ⅓ cup of unrefined sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- Wet ingredients:
- ½ cup unsweetened apple sauce
- ½ cup unsweetened soy yogurt
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- Preheat oven to 180ºC.
- Start by sifting the flour. Hold a sieve with one hand over a big bowl. Add the flour into the sieve and gently tap it with your other hand until all the flour has gone through. Put the sieve aside. Add the rest of the dry ingredients and mix well.
- In another bowl, whisk all the wet ingredients.
- Add wet mixture to the dry mixture and stir until just well combined. Do not overmix the batter.
- Cover with a kitchen cloth and let it rest for 10 min.
- Scoop the mixture into the silicon muffin cups (almost full but not completely).
- Bake at 180ºC for 25 minutes.
- Once out of the oven, let them sit on the counter for around 20 minutes to cool down before removing the muffins from the silicon cups.